Real estate agents serve as a link between homeowners and buyers to carry out the sale, purchase or rental of properties. They work for brokers and play an important role in helping people buy or sell residential, commercial, or industrial property. They maintain and maintain an up-to-date account of property listings and other relevant housing information to keep abreast of available properties on the real estate market. They subscribe to various listing services to advertise and market properties for sale. They also contact properties and market properties for sale. They also contact landlords for information about a property.
As part of their responsibilities, real estate agents present purchase and sale offers to clients for their consideration. They advise them on property fees, legal requirements and general market trends. They also interview clients to determine their property preference or specification. They usually prepare a list of properties that best suit the needs and requirements of the clients. They visit and inspect properties to establish the precise value of the property. They also offer recommendations to clients on the properties that best suit their budget and preference.
Most real estate agents oversee the preparation of closing statements, purchase agreements, agency contracts, and other documents necessary for the real estate business. They conduct negotiations between sellers and buyers of properties to establish the price and other terms of sale. They also liaise with pest control operators, home inspectors, etc. to ensure that the terms and conditions set forth in a purchase agreement are established prior to the closing of sales.
In fulfilling their role, real estate agents oversee the closing of property sales, make sure payment is complete, and proper documents are signed. They maintain contact with clients to offer them real estate services/products and assist them in resolving problems. They also provide consulting services to clients to recommend strategies for quick property sales. They often run training programs for junior/trainee sales agents to improve their sales skills. This job position requires at least a high school diploma, state license to practice, and sales aptitude. Qualities needed for the job include persuasiveness, interpersonal skills, and problem-solving skills.
Sample Real Estate Agent Job Description
Below is a sample of the job description most employers typically give real estate agents:
- Act as a link to carry out real estate transactions between buyers and sellers of properties.
- Present sales offers to clients, as well as bid on available properties
- Conduct investigations to determine customer’s credit status and ability to complete payment
- Inspect properties to appraise their value and estimate the value in the real estate market
- Interact with clients to identify their requirements and offer recommendations on the properties that best fit their budgets.
- Help home sellers promote their buildings on property listing services to attract customers to purchase.
- Prepare and deliver sales pitches to clients to secure the real estate contract.
- Provide clients with a list of properties available for sale to help them choose
- Carry out price negotiations between buyers and sellers of properties to ensure a fair deal for both parties.
- Provide clients with a tour of residential, industrial, or commercial properties to show and explain property features.
- Carry out investigations to confirm that clients have clear property titles
- Provide an adequate response to customer inquiries regarding property appraisals, financing, maintenance, etc.
- Examine property facilities to recommend necessary maintenance measures to improve face value
- Help clients evaluate mortgage options for the best rate and terms
- Attend conventions, conferences and seminars to enhance existing work knowledge and expand personal network.
If you are a recruiter who needs to hire the best real estate agent, you can use the sample job description above to make one for your company, to use in recruiting and tasking selected candidates.